How to Setup RDS Instance On AWS Cloud
Amazon provides RDS service to setup, operate and scale a relational database in the cloud. Amazon RDS is easy to set up, operate and scale MySQL deployments in the cloud. You can deploy scalable MySQL deployment in minutes with cost-efficient and resizable hardware capacity. You can spend more time to monitor your applications rather than the database. RDS provides six different type of databases engines Like Amazon Aurora, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL and MariaDB.
In this tutorial I will explain how we can launch RDS instance in AWS. Amazon provide very user-friendly UI.
Suggested Read: Launch a Free EC2 Instance on Amazon (AWS) Suggested Read: Install and Configure s3cmd to Manage AWS s3 Buckets
- It is scalable and you can increase or scale RDS instance and storage resource with few clicks.
- Easy to administer. RDS has user friendly interface to configure RDS instances you can configure it in a minute.
- Availability. It offer a feature called Multi-AZ which provides 99% uptime. Multi-AZ allows
- you to create a replica of Master/primary database in any zone and both databases are in sync so less change of data loss.
- It is fast. Amazon provides wide range of databases servers up to 32 cores CPU and 244 GB Ram. You can also choose SSD backend storage for high performance.
- It is inexpensive. You will need to pay very less amount of money only for resource usage.
- It also provide good backup facility. You can make a snapshot of your databases on daily and weekly basis as per your requirement.
RDS Launching Steps
Follow the below steps to launch RDS instance.
1. Login to your AWS account and click on “Service” tab and than Click on RDS option.
2. Launch DB instance, after clicking on RDS option, click on “Instances” than click on “Launch DB Instance“.
3. Configure RDS, after clicking on Launch DB instance you will get its configuration panel. Here choose your “Database Engine“. I am going to launch MySQL Database. You can choose other as per your requirement. Select “MySQL” then click on “Select“.
4. Choosing MySQL Dev/Test, in this step you can choose MySQl for your Production and Dev/Test environment. For High-Performance go with production and if you have small project with less database size you can go with Dev/Test. You will need to pay less for Dev/Test then production. If it suits for your application then you can switch to production easily.
5. DB details, In this step you will need to feel DB detail like DB version, instance class, storage etc., all details are self explained so no need to explain more here. After providing details click on “Next Step“.
6. Advance setting configuration, Now fill some advance configuration setting like VPC, Subnet, Publicly Accessibility, Availability zone, Security Group and Database Name etc. After selecting configuration click on “Launch DB Instance“.
To launch RDS DB instance it will take some time. After launching it will look below given screenshot.
You can access your RDS instance using below command.
# mysql -u username -p password -h endpoint-host
I hope this article will help to setup and launch RDS instance on Amazon AWS. If you have any queries and problem please comment in comment section.